Friday, November 4, 2011

Quit Packing Bologna!

Sometimes life finds various people in a rut. They do the same thing day in and day out without any ray of hope for change. The following story illustrates this and while the meaning is exaggerated it’s a great reminder for us not to settle with where we are, but to continually push the limits and to reach for the sky.

John, Fred, and Al are construction workers. Each new day finds them working on scaffolding on the building’s 20th story. One day they had stopped working to sit down and eat their lunch.

John opened his lunch bag and took out a cheese sandwich. “I hate cheese sandwiches! If I get one more cheese sandwich, I’m going to jump off the building!"

Fred opened his lunch bag and took out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "I hate peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! If I get one more peanut butter and jelly sandwich, I'm going to jump off the building!"

Al opened his lunch bag and took out a bologna sandwich. "I hate bologna sandwiches! If I get one more bologna sandwich, I’m going to jump off the building!"


The next day…

John takes out a cheese sandwich from his bag. "Ok, that's it, I'm jumping off!" He jumps off the building and dies.

Fred takes out a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. "OK, that's it, I'm jumping off!" He jumps off the building and dies.

Al takes out a bologna sandwich. "Ok, that's it, I'm jumping off!" He jumps off the building and dies.

At their funeral, the wives of John, Fred, and Al mourn.
John's wife cries out, "If only he had told me he didn't like cheese sandwiches, I would have given him something different!"

Fred's wife cries, "If only he told me he didn't like peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I would have given him something different!"


Al’s wife remains silent, causing the two women to look at her with confusion.

Al's wife responds, “Don’t look at me like that! He packed his own lunch!"

The interesting thing about the story is that all three men were in a situation that could have been easily changed.

Have you ever known someone who was in a situation that could have been easily fixed, but instead of taking the necessary responsibility needed to solve it, they simply kept on with the same course of action?

Sometimes it can be difficult to face the fact that change needs to happen in order for life to become as fulfilling as it was meant to be. This can be a frightening realization as sometimes the fear of the unknown can paralyze people into settling with situations and circumstances that are beneath them.

If you know someone who is facing something like that, be supportive and offer encouragement when you see them taking steps to better themselves. While they may not admit it, nobody wants to eat bologna every day, but they may need a little help to quit packing it.

Motivational speaker, Les Brown has been quoted as saying, “Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you will still be among the stars!”

No comments:

Post a Comment